Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Culture Me

A week or so ago, I played the cheap card, donned my hipster shoes, and headed to the free exhibits at the  Malba. One of the best known modern art museums in Buenos Aires the Malba has hosted many famous artists in it's lifespan including Xu Solar, Diego Rivera, Antonio Berni, Frida Kahlo, and Jorge de la Vega. Chances are, you know at least one name on that list. You get it, impressive stuff. This also happened to be the weekend of the BAFICI, also known as a free film and arts festival. After taking in the wonderful, wild and wacky art (Think everything from classic muralist, to satirical feminist brail collages),   Tiff, Monae, Andrea and I headed to this mall that housed an event center and a free concert. After the free concert, we sat on the steps outside the shopping center to take in some local musical talent in the form of five wonderful street performers. Good times. Good people*.

Because we weren't allowed to take photos, I wasn't able to get the names of all the artists featured, so I'm sure there is some form of copyright discrepancy playing out in the following photos. I will also be naming the pieces of art myself. I heretofore claim 'not guilty' to owning any of these. Also, Andrea took most of them anyway. Sneaky girl. 

*I officially miss anyone that would understand this reference 


Outside of the Malba (obviously?)

I do wish you could see the line of hipsters more clearly

I call this one: Woman staring at deformed bear cub around neon fire.

Giant melty plastic pieces in abstract form

I don't have a name for this one, but one of the monster things had boobs.

This was part of the 'Bye Bye American Pie exhibit.' 

I've fondly named this one: Pretty sure this has already been done with 
Helen Bonham Carter's face in Alice and Wonderland advertisements in 2010

Finally cleaned out from under my bed, here, you can have it. 


My dad would steal this bench in a heartbeat

Anna Hein in 65 years

This was the band we saw. The lead singer strikingly resembled Edna Mode 

I don't remember their name. The bassist was a badass. Think Sloan in Raise Your Voice

Inside of the Shopping/Event Center

Of course there was an indoor ferris wheel. 

Waiting for Monae to finish taking pictures
The street band. Yes, that is a cello and our friend with the beard is singing Willie Nelson


As always, Besos, 
Hil

No comments:

Post a Comment