Sunday, March 4, 2012

Final Destination

I have arrived. After three planes, a bus, a taxi and 36 hours en route I have arrived.  I expected to have immediate, broad first impressions of the city for which I have so eagerly anticipated, but nothing has come. I have already seen much of it in two days yet I cannot pass judgement. No glimpse, however long it may be seems enough to accurately encompass this city. I can't help but notice the little details, the unexpected irony, and the unimportant differences. These, I know are impressions that will fade quickly, leaving room for lasting memories, so I am trying to mentally capture the magic of this new city. The warm sensation I get when I walk by the Parque de Sur on the way to the train station, the quizzical looks at my curly red hair, the concentration of the biker as he dodges life threatening traffic, the anticipation of the porteños. It's all so interesting. I could sit at a cafe and drink café solo and ponder each of these things for hours, if only I had the time. I suppose that's the draw of a new city. I am a foreigner here and as such, I am meant to appreciate the architecture, the monuments, the famous restaurants. There is time for that. But as I stood in front of La Casa Rosada (the presidential house), I couldn't stop turning around and looking at the signs of the silent protesters, the graffiti lining the fence demanding political movements, or lack thereof, the man in the blue suit and white ascot walking through the humid 88 degree weather, trying desperately to enjoy his Sunday afternoon despite the flocks of tourists. These are the things I remember. The details I care about. Even now, as I sit on beside my 15th floor window, open to the sounds of the train that comes less frequently as the night grows older, I am struck by the features of this city. Tomorrow I take my placement exam. It's a funny way of figuring out where you belong in the University. I feel like everyday here will be a test to figure out where I belong in this city that is to be my home for some time. I want to embrace it, withough judgement, though I cannot yet tell if Buenos Aires has open arms to me. Nevertheless I am enjoying myself and I look forward to tomorrow. Buenos Noches.

Hil

No comments:

Post a Comment